Author Topic: Best Way to Deworm Dogs  (Read 311 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline Bukky

• View Profile
Best Way to Deworm Dogs
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:31:10 pm »
What's the best way to deworm dogs? Between Injections and tablets, which one is more effective for deworming dogs? Thanks.

Offline DogMan

• View Profile
Re: Best Way to Deworm Dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:52:00 pm »
What's the best way to deworm dogs? Between Injections and tablets, which one is more effective for deworming dogs? Thanks.
Personally I prefer tablets because they are often a combination of more than one dewormer, hence they tend to be effective against a wider range of worms than injections. Just my personal preference though I may be wrong.

Offline Rany4all

• Farming is my passion...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:56:51 pm »
Personally I prefer tablets because they are often a combination of more than one dewormer, hence they tend to be effective against a wider range of worms than injections. Just my personal preference though I may be wrong.
Exactly my thoughts @DogMan ! 100%
The Future is Agriculture!

Offline Bukky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 08:01:41 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your response.

Offline DogMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:04:21 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your response.
My pleasure...

Marked as best answer by Admin on August 23, 2019, 07:24:51 am

Offline DrRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:01:09 am »
The most important thing to consider in choosing a deworming drug is not the form the drug comes in, but rather the potency and spectrum of action of the drug itself, the purpose for which you want to administer the drug and the circumstances you find your dog in at the time.

A deworming drug might come in both oral and injectable forms, for instance Ivermectin and Levamisole have both tablets and injections, and both forms are equally effective against suscepitible worms when the right dose is given, but neither the oral or injectable forms of these drugs will work on worms that aren't susceptible to the particular drug. So if you know the worm your dog has, the best choice would be that dewormer that is known to be effective against that particular worm, irrespective of the form of the drug. On the other hand, in a situation where you do not know which worm your dog may have I think your best option would be to choose a deworming drug or combination of drugs that is known to be effective against all possible worms a dog might be infested with.

With regards to the choice between tablet or injection, for me it really comes down to the condition my dog is in, how sick my dog is and whether he can tolerate oral drugs or not. If my dog is very sick or vomiting and can't tolerate oral drugs, then I'd prefer injectables over oral, simply because they act faster and can be given to any dog whether the dog can swallow and keep drugs down or not. On the other hand, if my dog looks quite healthy and can tolerate oral drugs, then my choice would be tablets because they do not cause pain and there's no risk of introducing infections into the dog, unlike injections that are quite painful and come with the risk of your dog developing an injection abscess.

Offline DrRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:58:30 am »
In summary, what I'm trying to say is this:
  • If my dog appears quite healthy, can tolerate oral drugs and I know which worm my dog has, then I'd choose the oral form of a dewormer that is effective against that worm. For instance if my dog has tapeworms I'd give him praziquantel tablets or any other tablet that contains praziquantel, such as wormrid, prazisam, praziwormer, zerokrim and so on. And if it's heartworms, I'd give him Ivermectin tablets.

• If my dog appears healthy, can take oral drugs but I don't know which worms my dog might have, then I'd choose the oral form of a drug or combination of drugs that is effective against all or most worms that dogs can have, such as any tablet containing praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate and febantel (eg. wormrid, prazisam, praziwormer, zerokrim, etc).

• If my dog is very sick, can't tolerate oral drugs and I know which worm my dog is infested with then I'm better off choosing an injectable form of a dewormer that is effective against the particular worm my dog has. For instance if my dog is very sick and I know that he has heartworms, then I'd probably give him Ivermectin injection.

• If my dog is very sick, can't take oral drugs, but I do not know the exact worm or worms my dog has, then my choice would best be an injectable form of a dewormer that is effective against all or most worms, and that's if there is any injection like that at anyway.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AskAgric
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 08:27:18 am »
You've said it all @DrRan , nothing more to add here really. Thanks!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Is Cod Liver Oil Good for Pregnant Dogs

Started by AdminBoard Dog Breeding

Replies: 2
Views: 78
Last post July 21, 2019, 08:55:31 am
by Admin
How to Deworm Broilers

Started by NoviceBoard Poultry Farming

Replies: 0
Views: 37
Last post August 25, 2019, 07:54:37 am